Tara Duester is an associate in the Los Angeles office of GBG. Prior to joining GBG, Tara practiced at Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP.
Tara counsels and defends employers regarding employment law issues. Tara has successfully defended employers against claims of wage-and-hour violations, harassment, discrimination, retaliation, whistleblowing, leave and disability violations, failure to accommodate and wrongful termination in both federal and state court. Tara also has investigated and responded to administrative charges before the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (FEHC) and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).
Tara also provides strategic advice and counsel to employers in a wide range of employment matters, including hiring, discipline and termination, leaves of absence and accommodations, reductions-in-force, alternative workweek schedules, wage-and-hour compliance, and workplace privacy. Tara regularly conducts compliance audits relating to state and federal wage and hour law, pay practices and employment procedures. Tara also conducts workplace investigations and employee and management training, including anti-harassment training, and drafts handbooks and employment policies.
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2009
- Ohio University, B.A., 2000
Key Practice Experience
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation
- Leaves of Absence, Interactive Process and Disability Accommodations
- Wrongful Termination
- Wage and Hour Class Actions
- Labor and Employment Counseling
- Employee Hiring/Discipline/Termination
- Handbooks and Personnel Policies
- Harassment Investigation and Training
- Arbitration Program Development and Implementation
Tara regularly speaks and trains employers on a host of Human Resources issues, including annual updates to the laws on discrimination, harassment, accommodating disabilities, leaves of absence, the remote workforce, and best practices for conducting internal investigations.
Recognitions & Honors
- Lawyers Club of San Diego
- Board Member (2015-2018)
- Co-Chair Annual Dinner 2017, featuring speaker Anita Hill
- Lawyers Club News Editor (2015-2018)
- California Women Lawyers, Board Member (2016-2018)San Diego Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Outstanding Young Lawyer, San Diego Daily Transcript, 2013