Talar Tavlian is Of Counsel in the Los Angeles office of GBG. Prior to joining GBG, she practiced at Fisher Phillips LLP.
Talar utilizes her over 15 years of employment litigation experience to counsel and vigorously defend employers regarding a variety of employment law issues. She has represented employers in the retail, real estate, automotive, energy, security and manufacturing industries, as well as nonprofit organizations.
Talar’s substantial experience includes defending employers against harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wage and hour, whistleblowing, failure to accommodate and wrongful termination claims in federal and state court. She also investigates and responds to administrative complaints before the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).
In addition, Talar provided strategic advice and counsel to employers regarding a diverse range of employment issues, such as hiring, discipline, termination, drug testing, leaves of absence, providing workplace accommodations, implementing reductions in force, wage and hour compliance and workplace privacy. She also conducted numerous employee and management trainings, including anti-harassment and best practices training, and drafted employment policies.
- Loyola Law School, J.D., 2005
- UCLA, B.A., Sociology, 2002
Key Practice Experience
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation
- Leaves of Absence, Interactive Process and Disability Accommodations
- Wrongful Termination
- Wage and Hour Class and Representative Actions
- Labor and Employment Counseling
- Employee Hiring/Discipline/Termination
- Personnel Policies
- Harassment Training
- Represented publicly-traded nationwide security company in CA state actions and class action
- Represented publicly-traded nationwide solar company in CA state actions
- Represented publicly-traded nationwide manufacturer in CA state actions
- Represented private multi-state energy company in CA state actions
- Represented nationwide wireless retailer in CA state actions and representative action
- Obtained multiple summary judgment victories in cases involving discrimination, retaliation, harassment and other claims
- Advise on leave and accommodation issues and policies
- Advise on reductions in force
- Provide risk assessments regarding employee termination, disciplinary action and engaging in the interactive process/workplace accommodations
Led and organized multiple community service and charity events, including the building of a playground for a domestic violence shelter, adopting families during the holiday season and local fundraising for the L.A. Food Bank
Recognitions & Honors
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (California) from 2012 through 2019