Matt Morris represents employers in a wide variety of civil matters ranging from single plaintiff lawsuits alleging wrongful termination to representative class actions dealing with various wage and hour issues. Matt has extensive expertise in assisting employers with all aspects of civil litigation, from initial case assessment to discovery to summary adjudication briefing. He has also extensive experience litigating representative actions arising under California’s Private Attorneys General Act. To that end, Matt has successfully defeated numerous class/PAGA actions at both the class certification stage and on summary adjudication.
Prior to joining GBG, Matt worked as civil litigator at a top international law firm, where he litigated a wide variety of civil matters including cases dealing with misappropriation of trade secrets and international disputes pertaining to ownership rights of high value art pieces.
Before starting his legal career, Matt taught English and Literature at Chongqing Technology and Business University (重庆工商大学) in Chonqing China, where he captained a local rugby team and ate too much hotpot.
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D. (First Honors in tort and property law)
- Missouri State University, B.S. cum laude in the Honors College
Key Practice Experience
- Achieved complete dismissal of all claims at summary judgment in single plaintiff matter alleging disability discrimination and alleged retaliation for exercising rights under California Family Rights Act.
- Achieved complete dismissal of all claims at summary judgment in single plaintiff matter alleging racial discrimination after the was terminated due to a reduction in force.
- Defeated class certification in class action alleging violations of California’s meal and rest breaks laws for international shipping and logistics company.
- Conducted wide scale confidential investigations into alleged timecard manipulation scheme for international clients.
- Coordinated and managed years long complex discovery plan in Federal trade secret misappropriation action.
- Drafted comprehensive provenance reports of high value art pieces, which analyzed ownership rights under various international legal regimes, enabling owners to confidently sell their multimillion-dollar musical instruments and paintings with clear chain of title.
- Represented and counseled dozens of employees in a high-profile regulatory investigation relating to alleged unethical banking practices.
- Has drafted and developed best practices guidelines for numerous new-media production companies to ensure compliance with California OSHA guidelines and other regulatory bodies.
- Coordinated an international team of attorneys on data privacy matters to ensure regulatory compliance in a number of different countries throughout Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
- Shipping and Logistics
- Film and Media Production
- Fine Art
Recognitions & Honors
- Ann and Denis Beaver Scholarship for Summer Study in Paris (Sorbonne)